"I shall content myself with merely declaring my firm conviction that, for the seeker who would live in fear of God and who would see Him face to face, restraint in diet both as to quantity and quality is as essential as restraint in thought and speech." -Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Luscious Lemon Bars


· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
· 2 tablespoons cornstarch
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 3/4 cup butter
· 4 slightly beaten eggs
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
· 3/4 cup lemon juice
· 1/2 cup milk
· powdered sugar

1. In a large bowl combine the 2 cups flour, the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Using a pastry blender*, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x92-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until edges are golden.
2. Meanwhile, for the filling, in a medium bowl stir together the eggs, granulated sugar, the 3 tablespoons flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and milk. Pour filling over hot crust.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes more or until center is set. Cool . Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into bars. Cover and store in the refrigerator.

*I don't have a pastry blender, so I just used a spoon first and then my hands.

Nutrition Facts per bar:
Calories: 114
Total fat: 5g
Total Carbs: 16
Carb choices: 1

Recipe By: Better Homes and Gardens

1 comment:

M said...

When you need something really sweet and happen to have a lemon sitting around, this is the perfect dessert! I didn't have any chocolate chips sitting around or anything except a lemon that really needed using, so I dug up this awesome recipe and now they are my favorite non-chocolate dessert!