Sunday, June 1, 2008
Luscious Lemon Bars
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
· 2 tablespoons cornstarch
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 3/4 cup butter
· 4 slightly beaten eggs
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
· 3/4 cup lemon juice
· 1/2 cup milk
· powdered sugar
1. In a large bowl combine the 2 cups flour, the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Using a pastry blender*, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 13x92-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until edges are golden.
2. Meanwhile, for the filling, in a medium bowl stir together the eggs, granulated sugar, the 3 tablespoons flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and milk. Pour filling over hot crust.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes more or until center is set. Cool . Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into bars. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
*I don't have a pastry blender, so I just used a spoon first and then my hands.
Nutrition Facts per bar:
Total fat: 5g
Total Carbs: 16
Carb choices: 1
Recipe By: Better Homes and Gardens